[Summary: Canadian monk U Vamsa (Vansa), gave 2 talks for us in November, and below is his list of 10 ‘new age myths’ – ideas that have become widespread, but do not fit with Buddhism:]
Ten New Age Myths
Myth: Primitive tale imaginatively describing or accounting for phenomena; prevalent or false belief; person or thing falsely believed to exist….
1) We are all already ‘enlightened”… Obviously not true…Leads to NO practice and complacence…An aloofness towards various kilesas
2) All ‘this’ is an illusion….actually the belief in permanence is the grand illusion under which humans dwell
Abundance and prosperity grouping
3) If it is not easy it is not the “path”
4) Abundance and entitlement are ample requisites for attainment
5) One can indulge, think, serve, chant et al. one’s way to enlightenment
What was the Buddha doing under the Bodhi Tree??
6) Instant ‘enlightenment’ is possible… $5K in India…Big Mind ($325)…$USD??!!
False, partial or ‘final’ answers
7) ‘The Secret’ is the ‘Power of Now’… Presented as the final stage to everlasting bliss…No practice…Christian, Krishnamurti…rapture, bliss is not ‘the big E’
8) Piano, surfing, sport, skiing is my meditation….Concentration as a tonic not a means to insight
Skirting and Spinning
9) ‘It’s not my fault, it’s my Karma’… Leading to ‘Idiot Compassion’
10) We are all one…Unity Principal vs. Cessation/Nibbana… Chief Seattle’s words not the ‘final word’